Most have probably heard news coming across the wires in recent weeks about the ongoing unrest in Hong Kong, originally stemming from various student-led and pro-democracy protests in opposition to proposed extradition legislation. Though the economic region is currently experiencing many challenges, the Hong Kong Founder Institute team has been amazed to see the determination coming from these founders, who are all working to build new businesses that can help improve the futures of Hong Kong.
According to FI Hong Kong program Co-Director Jeffrey Broer,
This cohort has been one of the most advanced from FI Hong Kong in recent years—upon graduation ~90% of cohort founders are working full-time on their startup.
Meet the newest portfolio companies from the Fall 2019 FI Hong Kong cohort:
- A4Alpha - 'Games for Good Grades,' offering a parent-kid learning platform for K-12 kids, helping parents to motivate childhood learning through games.
- Ahera fitness - developing connected smart fitness equipment to help you to keep your motivation high and reach your craziest fitness goals.
- AOC (Access Our Community) Law - connects lawyers to pro bono opportunities with legal services organizations assisting under-served and vulnerable communities.
- Campfire Crates - connecting parents and kids through craft and culture by providing a subscription box that tells a story.
- The Career Lounge - provides advice, information, skills training, coaching, and bespoke networking opportunities to experienced professionals who are struggling to successfully navigate the job market.
- Pay-a-Vegan - a resource network and social platform promoting for vegetarian and vegan recipes and healthy living.
- Photonicity - aims to deliver wireless energy to orbiting satellites using high-power lasers and a proprietary power receiver.
- VideoGlass PUBS - helping service-centric freelancers and small businesses explain their values in short, pro-looking videos.
Other top highlights of the Fall 2019 Hong Kong include the following:
- We're proud to have 55% of graduates from this cohort be female founders.
- We've seen amazing progress from all of these Fall 2019 founders, who now know what direction they are heading in, and what steps they should take next to get there.
- We hope that some of the founders who weren't able to finish the program will come back to join the next cohort—there are some amazing ideas out there.
Although this cohort sometimes experienced challenges planning- and venue-wise, we want to give a huge thank you to HKFYG Social Innovation Center for accommodating us in the very best ways possible throughout this year.
Graduates of the Founder Institute are creating some of the world's fastest growing startups, having raised over $900M in funding, and building products people love across over 185 cities worldwide.
See the most recent news from our Grads at FI.co/news, or learn more about their stories at FI.co/journey.