So you think you’re ready to be a startup founder? According to Glen Hellman (Principal, Driven Forward LLC.), not everyone is cut out for startup life. In a post from his blog, Forward Thinking, Glen provides a humorous and no nonsense checklist for the ‘wantrepreneur’.
Are you Startup Material? See Glen’s checklist below to see if you’ve got what it takes. Think you’re too good to clean toilets? Better think again. You may be in for a big surprise.
Glen is a Principal at Driven Forward LLC., a firm that supports entrepreneurs and venture investors by providing strategic guidance, interim executive leadership services, and executive coaching. In addition, he is a mentor for the Lima Founder Institute which is currently accepting applications for the Summer 2014 Semester.
"Not everyone is cut out to be a startup founder.
What are some of the clues that will tell you you might be better off applying to work at the post office?
- You don’t like to clean toilets or dig ditches
- You always follow the advice of your parents
- You often say, “whatever” and you aren’t being sarcastic
- You think that pan handling is beneath you
- You must sit down to eat
- You are offended and not proud when someone says your crazy
- You were voted Most Likely to Succeed in High School
- You weren’t voted Talks Most Says Least in High School
- You don’t believe that Beef Jerky and Potato Chips qualify as a Steak and Potato’s Dinner
- You think that you can learn about business from watching Donald Trump and the Apprentice
and then there's an important bonus addition that should be #1 suggested by Dr. Penn Moody, an Indianapolis-based doctor of Optometry and an enigma.... because he's more entrepreneur than doctor and he's a great doctor! Penn adds The real #1:
1. You think holidays are for taking time off from work.
Yes Penn you're right. Hell if you think work is work and if you'd rather be sitting at a beach than playing at your startup...... you're not cut out to found this startup."
Follow Glen on Twitter @GleHel.
To hear more from Glen, join this Summer in Lima where he will be mentoring at the Lima Founder Institute. Click here to begin your application now. Apply by Sunday, 2014-01-19 to qualify for Founder Institute Fellowships.