Over 40 startups entered, but only one remained.
On Wednesday July 17th, BeforeWeDo won the Founder Showcase Pitch Competition in front of 400 investors, founders, and press in Mountain View, CA. Represented onstage by Founder & CEO, Stefan Broda, BeforeWeDo empowers sexually active people to manage your sexual health at home.
Did you know that there are more than 20 million new sexually transmitted infections per year in the U.S. alone, creating a whopping $16 billion annual burden on our health care system?
BeforeWeDo aims to reduce these numbers and curb STDs by making testing less scary. The company offers an online STD resource, personal health web app, and STD testing-kit delivery serivce for you to manage your sexual health at home, removing the embarrasment and hassle of current solutions. Prior to the Showcase, BeforeWeDo also won Bay Area Startup Weekend, Graduated from the Silicon Valley Founder Institute, and was an official partner with San Francisco Pride.
Watch Stefan's flawless pitch, and expert Judging Panel feedback from Manu Kumar (K9 Ventures), Noah Doyle (Javelin Venture Partners), Jon Soberg (Blumberg Capital), James Cham (Bloomberg Beta), and Ho Nam (Altos Ventures), below:
In particular, Stefan received glowing feedback from Noah;
"I admire the capital efficiency. This is the way healthcare businesses need to be built. Through a market-testing, capital-efficient, iterative fashion, rather than the traditional method of multiple rounds of funding before there is any revenue. You are a new model for the modern healthcare plight." - Noah Doyle, Partner at Javelin Venture Partners
Coming in second place as the official runner-up was Friend Trusted, a web and mobile app that helps people shop and compare home improvment estimates. You can see the video of Co-Founder Brenton Marrelli's pitch here.
Other companies who presented on stage at the event included:
- InstaNext: InstaNext Inc provides an enterprise apps platform using a modern approach that makes it possible for large enterprises to stay current with technology.
- Slidefish: Slidefish simplifies the process of getting feedback on presentations and documents, delivering those documents to any browser on device with any OS while letting you measure document engagement.
- Pouch: Pouch is a mobile loyalty & marketing application.
- PriceHub: Don’t overpay for your next used car - use PriceHub to research the real price based on what others really paid.
- Knightscope: Knightscope is developing self-driving robots to help organizations reduce costs and fight crime more effectively with automated alerts of suspicious behavior.
- Camperoo: Camperoo makes planning children's activities easier for parents, while giving providers more exposure to parents and campers who have interest in their camps.